SEX AND DEPRESSION: IMPACT OF SEX ON MENTAL HEALTH
Sex and sexuality are a part of life. Aside from reproduction, sex can be about intimacy and pleasure. Sexual activity, penile-vaginal intercourse (PVI), or masturbation, can offer many surprising benefits to all facets of our life including physical, intellectual, emotional, psychological and, social. Sex is an important part of your life.
“Mental Health is a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community”.
How can sex benefit mental health?
Sexual activity, with a partner or through masturbation, can provide important psychological and emotional benefits. Like exercise, sex can help reduce stress and anxiety and increase happiness. Benefits of sexual activity involve:
- Increased satisfaction with your mental health
- Increased levels of trust, intimacy, and love in your relationships
- Improved ability to perceive, identify, and express emotions
- Lessened use of your immature psychological defense mechanism, or the mental processes to reduce distress from emotional conflict
At an older age, sexual activity may affect your well-being and ability to think. The research found that sexually active adults between 50 to 90 years old had a better memory. They were also less likely to feel depressed and lonely.
- Confidence booster: Frequent sexual activity, whether with a partner or alone, can make you look younger. This is partially due to the release of estrogen during sex.
- Social benefits: Sex can help you connect to your partner, thanks to oxytocin. Oxytocin can play a role in developing relationships. You may find that consistent, mutual sexual pleasure helps with bonding within a relationship. Coupled partners often have increased relationship satisfaction when they fulfill one another’s sexual desires. You may find positive growth in your relationship when you’re able to express yourself and your sexual desires.
Leave a Comment