SEX AND DEPRESSION: LIVING WITH A DEPRESSED PARTNER
Living with a partner going through depression can be challenging and in turn affect our mental health when the affection and intimacy gotten from our partner is missing. Depression is a mental disorder that can affect one’s general life leading to sexual challenges such as:
- Inability to experience pleasure.
- Loss of interest in activities.
- Low energy levels.
- Mood swings.
- Reduced self-esteem.
The relationship between depression and sex is complex… On the flip side, many aspects of sex can help boost one’s mood and act as a cushion against depression’s effects.
How? One surprising recent study actually suggests that exposure to semen may help fight depression. Beyond sperm, the research found that semen may provide mood-boosting hormones and chemical compounds for women. Both parties can benefit from the mood-enhancing effects of orgasms, as well as the emotional bond that comes from an intimate relationship.
Is depression keeping you or your partner from lovemaking and its mood-lifting benefits? Revive your sex drive with these steps:
- Deal with depression: Although it’s no quick fix, treating your depression or your partner’s depression with therapy, lifestyle changes, or medication is the surest way back to active sex life.
- Nip side effects in the bud: Low sex drive or lack of response is a side effect of certain antidepressants, so talk to your doctor about other options. Low libido can also be the side effect of lifestyle choices, such as regular alcohol consumption.
- Seduce him (or her): You may find that a little seduction is all that’s needed. Experimenting with erotica or sticking with some of the old stand-bys (flowers, candles, and sexy clothing) could get you both in the mood.
- Make it a date night: Depression can leave you with little motivation to dress up for a night on the town. Schedule a date night it’ll force both of you to make an effort. Be sure to plan an activity you both find enjoyable and relaxing you may even find that the anticipation itself is an aphrodisiac.
- Unwind. Stress and depression too often go hand in hand. A couples’ massage could be the ticket to helping you both feel sexy.
Be creative and put in a lot of effort.